UK school student dies after anaphylactic shock: Staff only looked at care plans for excursions

A recent media report has revealed that a 14-year-old boy died after suffering from anaphylactic shock in reaction to the milk in his tandoori chicken lunch, provided by his London school while he was in detention. The inquest into his death heard that the teenager had a history of severe asthma and food allergies. The inquest also heard how school staff had no idea about the child’s allergies and failed to administer an EpiPen, which may have saved his life.

Read More...

School discovers inappropriate material on former teacher’s computer: What’s on a hard drive?

Two Victorian non-government schools have been praised for their responses to the recent discovery of inappropriate material involving children on a teacher’s hard drive. The teacher in question has been charged and proceedings are due to commence in August.  The potential criminal actions by the teacher are fairly clear on the facts but his liability is ultimately a matter for a court.

Read More...

Asthma management: New Vic Action Plans and a Ministerial Order may be next

In Australia, 1 in 9 people suffer from asthma, a chronic lung-condition which causes inflammation and constricting of a person’s airways. While asthma can have minor effects if appropriately managed, severe conditions can interfere with daily life or lead to life-threatening attacks. Symptoms can flare up with little notice, with attacks potentially triggered by exercising, catching a cold or simply breathing in smoke or cold air.

Read More...